2014 Spirit Awards
When people care our community becomes stronger. The Scotiabank & United Way Community Spirit Awards honours organizations and individuals dedicated to making a difference.
Labour United Award
The Labour United Award is presented to a union and its members that exemplifies commitment to community and to furthering the values shared by United Way and the labour movement.
Winner: Canadian Union of Public Employees – Local 402
United Way Growth Award
The Growth Award is presented to the workplace campaign team that had the highest percentage increase in the number of donors and dollars given directly to United Way of the Lower Mainland. The Award also recognizes an increase in Leadership donors giving $1000 or more.
– Connor, Clark & Lunn Financial Group
– Davis LLP
– Enterprise Rent-A-Car
– Morrison Hershfield Ltd.
– Wesbild Holdings Limited
Winner: Enterprise Rent-A-Car
United Way Innovation Award
The Innovation Award is presented to the workplace campaign team that created the most innovative fundraising strategies and maintained or increased dollars given directly to United Way of the Lower Mainland.
– BC Hydro & Canadian Office and Professional Employees Union Local 378 and International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 258
– Langara College & Canadian Union of Public Employees Local 15 and Federation of Post Secondary Educators Local 14
– MMM Group
– The Economical Insurance Group
– UPS & Teamsters Local 31
Winner: UPS & Teamsters Local 31
United Way Engage Award
The Engage Award is presented to the workplace campaign team that best engages its employees through all levels of the organization. These engagement strategies helped maintain or increase dollars given directly to United Way of the Lower Mainland.
– BMO Financial Group
– Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency & Public Service Alliance of Canada, Professional Institute of Public Service of Canada and Union of Environment Workers Local 20729
– City of Burnaby & Canadian Union of Public Employees Local 23
– Neptune Bulk Terminals (Canada) Ltd. & International & Longshoremen and Warehouse Union Locals 500 & 502
– Ricoh Canada Inc.
Winner: City of Burnaby & Canadian Union of Public Employees Local 23
Gen Next Award
The Gen Next Award is presented to the workplace campaign team that most engaged all generations, especially Gen Nexters, people born from the early 1980’s to the early 2000’s, in their fundraising campaign. These engagement strategies increased the number of donors or dollars given directly to United Way of the Lower Mainland.
– Best Buy & Future Shop
– Richardson International Limited & Grain Workers Union Local 333
Winner: Best Buy & Future Shop
The Teamwork Award recogizes the workplace campaign team that is diverse, including management and union leaders, and that increased donors or dollars given directly to United Way of the Lower Mainland.
– British Columbia Automobile Association & Canadian Office and Professional Employees Local 378
– Hatch Ltd. and Hatch Mott MacDonald Vancouver
– Spectra Energy
– TD Bank Group
TD Bank Group
United Way President’s Award of Distinction
The President’s Award of Distinction is United Way’s most prestigious award. It honours individuals or organizations for their extraordinary service and commitment in helping build stronger communities.
Winner: Scott Wilson, Vice President and Treasurer, Teck Resources Limited